Re: The future of Octave

From: Trond Eivind GlomsrØd
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: 11 Dec 2000 14:26:45 -0500

Przemek Klosowski <address@hidden> writes:

>    > I've been hesitant to pursue this option for three reasons.
>    >
>    >     1) The need to learn a second language for programming callbacks
>    >     2) The overhead of installing and running a second large interpreter
>    >     3) The ungainliness of tcl/tk
>    >

>    Tcl is too slow, especially since everyone is obviously concerned about
>    execution time.  I say we should use C++m which Octave can already
>    dynamicly load.
>
> Tcl would be indeed too slow if one wanted to use it for
> computation---but I don't think this is being contemplated. I think a
> better idea is to wrap up Tk widgets into octave wrappers; so instead
> of Tcl loop running Tk widgets you'd run Octave loop.

Argh. TclTk can best be decribed as "evil" and "obsolete", and I think
the company who did this (Scriptics, which changed the name and was
bought) has dropped it.

If a GUI is to be made, I think using gtk+ would be better - it's the
foundation of GNOME, GNU's desktop. If taking the next step and using
gnome, visualization could be done through bonobo.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.