Re: The future of Octave

From: Andrew Bainbridge-Smith
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:06:02 +1100

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

I hope that you didn't interpret my posting as one of criticism --- it wasn't
meant in that way.  Indeed I am well aware that you've sort assistance to help
with documentation work.  The point really was that you have managed to
maintain the package without any significant forking and keep things moving
alone with enthusiasm.  I doubt that any single person will come forward to
take leadership and put in the effort you have put in.  Instead it will
(hopefully) be a team, the downside being that forking and divided effort may
result (I agree that some forking may be acceptable provided that the overall
effort is not lost as a result).  When a team takes control there will be a
greater need for clear communications and documentation.

I take it that perhaps the most significant issue --- that of the home for
OCTAVE --- has at least been resolved.

I should of course put my hand forward to take on some supporting role.  I
have employed a student for the summer (Southern hemisphere).  As he converts
some of my MATLAB m-files to OCTAVE and becomes experienced and fires my
enthusiasm I will see if I can make such an effort.

WIth much thanks to your efforts,
        Andrew BS
--
Dr Andrew Bainbridge-Smith