Porting tools from matlab to octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Porting tools from matlab to octave
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:46:46 -0600

On  6-Dec-2000, Douglas Eck <address@hidden> wrote:

| I have a lot of matlab code to port to octave. It is a very slow
| task running the code and waiting for parse errors. Examples:
|
|  a=b(round(end/2):end,:);  ==> a=b(round(size(b,1)/2))):size(b,1),:);

Actually, there are no syntax errors here.

| Has anyone taken a stab at writing a perl script which ports
| matlab to octave and fixes these simple but annoying syntactic
| differences?

I'm sorry that you found this annoying, Perhaps you could contribute
to the solution rather than just complaining.

BTW, the problem you mention is a semantic difference, not a syntactic
difference.  The syntax is the same, but in this context, the END
token has a different meaning in Octave than it does in Matlab.

There have been a few messages in the last few weeks about this kind
of END token (not to be confused with the END token that is used to
mark the ends of program blocks).  I don't plan to implement it
myself, but I have tried to give some clues to people about how it
might be done.  You can find the messages in the archive at the Octave
web site.

jwe