compileable octaves

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: compileable octaves
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:23:07 -0600

On 13-Nov-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| is there a way to build a web-spreadsheet of octave-versions versus
| Operatingsystems+compiler?

Probably.  If you are interested, then why don't you volunteer to do
it?

| I mostly have problems to compile octave on IRIX64 (see below).
|
| The spreadsheet could contain either a link to an uploaded compiled
| version
| or to a bug report as mentioned below.

That is not a very useful bug report.  If you expect someone to be
able to fix problems that you encounter, you must help out by
submitting bug reports that contain enough information for someone to
be able to fix the bug.  If you are not sure what constitutes a
complete bug report, please read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html.

| > I work on IRIX64 and octave does not always compile without problems
| > on this platform.
| > I have 2.0.14, 2.0.16 does not compile wihtout errors so does 2.1.31
| > which I have also.
| >
| > #---------------------------------------------
| >  `/GNU/usr/src/packages/BUILD/octave-2.1.31/liboctave'
| > c++ -c  -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -I../glob
| > -I../glob -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
| > -fno-implicit-templates -g -O2 -Wall oct-time.cc -o oct-time.o
| > oct-time.cc: In method `void octave_time::stamp()':
| > oct-time.cc:112: aggregate `struct timeval tp' has incomplete type and
| > cannot be initialized
| > oct-time.cc:117: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
| > gmake[2]: *** [oct-time.o] Error 1
| > #---------------------------------------------

I can't be sure, but I think this problem might be fixed in the
current CVS sources.

BTW, 2.1.x versions of Octave are development versions of Octave.
They generally work OK, but they are unstable in the sense that they
may contain serious bugs, and internal and external interfaces may
change dramatically and without notice.  If you use the 2.1.x versions
of Octave, consider yourself an Octave developer.  As such, it is
unreasonable to expect a lot of gratis hand-holding support.  Have you
read the file ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/bleeding-edge/README?

jwe