Re: Octave does not draw the graphics on Win98

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: Octave does not draw the graphics on Win98
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:14:53 GMT

I am currently running the latest Octave beta using Windows 98.  Here is what
you should do.  Gnuwin32 has been renamed Cygwin, and has been aquired by
redhat.  Since the aquisation much progress has been made with cygwin since the
B18-B20 versions you have tried.  The current release is 1.1.2 (non-beta)and
1.1.3 (non-beta) will soon be released.  Goto http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
and download the latest version.  After successfully setting up cygwin goto
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weichmann_Tom/1.2
I have buils binaries of Octave-2.1.30, Octave-2.0.16, and Gnuplot-3.7.  The
readme files should tell you where to unpack these tarballs.  After installing
Octave, and Gnuplot you need a Xwindows server, because Gnuplot is a Xwindows
application.  I suggest Starnet's.  You can get it from
http://www.starnet.com.  There Xwindows server is a fully functional demo that
never expires.  Once everything is installed start your Xserver, then run
cygwin (don't forget to set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 in your .bashrc) and octave
should work great!!

Hope this helps

> We have a question about the drawing the graphics by Octave on Win98.
>
> In order to run octave on Windows 98, we have downloaded gnuwin32,
> G77gnu-win32, Octave and gnuplot-cygwin32. We found, however, the octave did
> not draw the graphics. We had tried the version b18, b19 and b20, but they
> did not work well when it comes to drawing of the graphics.
>
> The octave itself operates with bash and the execution of the calculation
> and the function has no problem. But when we use the command ’¡Ègplot!
I, it
> dose not draw the graphics.
>
> The followings are the procedure we follow:
> Octave1>a=[1:5]
> a=1,2,3,4,5
> octave2>gplot(a)
> octave3>
>
> When we run the octave on UNIX, it draws the graphics with above-mentioned
> procedure. Wgnupl32.exe itself works without any problem.
>
> We would appreciate it if anybody could give us suggestions about this
> problem.

> Takashi  Segami
> RION  CO., LTD   R & D  Department
> TEL : 042 - 359 - 7842   FAX : 042 - 359 - 7462
> address@hidden

Tom
Weichmann