Binary file I/O for tape devices?

From: O. Scott Sands
Subject: Binary file I/O for tape devices?
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 23:25:45 -0400

I've developed a set of Octave codes to read a particular set
of files using the binary file I/O routines (fopen, fread ....)

Now, I would like to use these same routines to read data
directly off the tape (the data on the tape is exactly the same
format as is in the files on disk.) However, when I replace
the file name in my fopen statements with something like

fopen('/dev/nst0')

I'm only able to read a small amount of the actual data on the
tapes; I'd guess about 200 or 300 bytes into the tape file.

What am I missing here?

Thanks, in advance,

--

O. Scott Sands
address@hidden

PS: I'm reading from an Exabyte 8500 in high (i.e. 5Gbyte) format under
SuSE linux 6.2 using Octave 2.1.28.