building from CVS

From: Ben Sapp
Subject: building from CVS
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:43:37 -0600

I can compile from the CVS archive on IRIX with the following commands:

cd octave
cd glob ; autoconf ; autoheader  ; cd ../
cd readline/ ; autoconf ; autoheader ; cd ../
cd kpathsea/ ; autoconf ; autoheader ; cd ../
cd scripts/ ; autoconf ; autoheader ; cd ../
autoconf ; autoheader
./configure
gmake

I tried for the first time to do this on a Linux machine.  It will
compile every thing with the exception of lex.cc.  Oddly enough, if I
use the bleeding-eadge releases where lex.cc is made from lex.l for me I
have no problems.  I thought it must be that my flex was out of date but
this does not seem to be the case.  I am at a loss as to what could be
causing the problem.  Here is the version information for the Linux
machine in question:

$ autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13
$ autoheader --version
Autoconf version 2.13
$ flex --version
flex version 2.5.4
$ bison --version
GNU Bison version 1.28
$ gmake --version
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

$ g++ --version
2.95.2
$ gcc --version
2.95.2
$  uname -a
Linux pcben 2.2.12-20 #1 Mon Sep 27 10:40:35 EDT 1999 i686
unknown

This is a RedHat 6.1 installation.

Any clues or things I should check out will be greatly appreciated.

--
Ben Sapp                         Los Alamos National Laboratory
email: <mailto:address@hidden>   Phone: (505)667-3277