Re: octave & ATLAS

From: Stef Pillaert
Subject: Re: octave & ATLAS
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:01:21 +0200

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Stef Pillaert wrote:
> > int main() {
> > gethostname()
> > ; return 0; }
> > configure:4083: checking size of short
> > configure:4102: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -g
> > conftest.c -llapack -lf77blas -lcblas -latlas -lm  1>&5
> > /usr/bin/../lib/liblapack.so: undefined reference to `e_wsfe'
> > [...]
>
> Those functions are not LAPACK functions per se, they are functions in the
> Fortran library of your compiler.  Since the C compiler is being used,
> however, those libraries need to be linked explicitely.
>
> Octave should probably be using the AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS to determine
> this (this is new in the recent autoconf versions, and I had been under
> the impression that it was based on something done by Octave, actually,
> but apparenty Octave is not getting the right Fortran compiler here.)
>
> Is it possible that you have multiple Fortran compilers on your system,
> and that Octave is being compiled with one while LAPACK was compiled with
> another?

I got the lapack as a rpm, with both the .a and the .so in it. To be sure, I
looked for the lapack-source, compiled it myself (with g77, used  -fpic),
and (AFAICT) g77 is the only FORTRAN-compiler on my system (Redhat6.2, on an
AMD K6 500Mhz).

When I remove all the .so libs involved, everythings works fine (with atlas,
and the lapack-with-a-bit-of-atlas-in-it).
Even if I used the liblapack.so in the original RPM (from netlib), I get the
same message in config.log as above...
??

Stef