RE: LaTeX in Octave

From: Fulford, Glenn
Subject: RE: LaTeX in Octave
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:23:51 +1200

An alternative approach to those mentioned, is to use a LaTeX package called
PSfrag.
What PSfrag does, is replaces a text label in an eps file with a LaTeX
equivalent. For more information, see
http://ctan.unsw.edu.au/tex-archive/info/epslatex.pdf
and the PSfrag package can be downloaded from
http://ctan.unsw.edu.au/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/psfrag/

Recently I saw posted in the Matlab newsgroup, by  Arno Linnemann, a Matlab
function laprint.m
that interfaced nicely with psfrag, but I hadn't had a chance to try it out
yet.
I would expect this would be easy to port to Octave.

Laprint.m is free and available from
http://www.uni-kassel.de/~linne/matlab/

Here is an example:

1. Create the matlab plot:
   >> set(0,'DefaultTextInterpreter','none')
   >> plot([1 2])
   >> title('\huge The \underline{true} $\int_\tau^\infty\tilde
y(t)dt$')
   >> laprint
2. Push save in the LaPrint window.
3. Include unnamed.tex and unnamed.eps in a LaTeX document like this:
   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{epsfig,psfrag}
   \begin{document}
   \begin{figure}[ht]
    \begin{center}
     \input{unnamed.tex}
    \end{center}
   \end{figure}
  \end{document}
4. Compile and view using, e.g., latex, dvips and ghostview

Hope this helps,  Glenn.
Glenn Fulford    Ph:  +64 4 922 1513   Fax: +64 4 528 1380
AgResearch
Wallaceville Animal Research Centre,   Upper Hutt, New Zealand.
email: address@hidden   address@hidden