Octave Segfaults.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave Segfaults.
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:01:50 -0600 (CST)

On 20-Dec-1999, james d thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

| Are there any well-know conflicts between octave 2.0.14 and standard
| Red Hat linux configurations?
|
| I did a standard RH6.1 install on my laptop (thinkpad 560X), and
| recently I installed the octave rpm, but I get a segfault error
| immediately upon typing 'octave' -- if I'm missing something obvious
| I'd be delighted if something pointed it out.
|
| I both used the standard rpm, and compiled from the source rpm, each
| time with the same results.

Does Red Hat 6.1 try to use egcs or gcc 2.95 as the default C++
compiler, but gcc 2.7.x as the default C compiler?

I see that you are linked with libstdc++ 2.7.x.  If you used egcs or
gcc 2.95 to build the C++ parts of Octave, it is likely that the
header files you used were not appropriate for the older version of
the library.

Also, did you use f2c to translate the Fortran parts to C?  I think it
is better to use g77 from the recent egcs or gcc 2.95 distributions
(but this not not likely to be the cause of the segfault).

So, I'd suggest getting a copy of gcc 2.95.x and using it (gcc, g++,
g77) to compile Octave.

Unfortunately, you may run into a few snags if you try to build
2.0.14, since g++ continues to pick more nits.  But if you get the
latest test release for Octave 2.0.15, it should compile cleanly with
gcc 2.95.x.  You can find it at ftp.che.wisc.edu in the directory
/pub/octave/test-releases.

jwe