SourceForge

From: John A. Turner
Subject: SourceForge
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:11:44 -0500 (EST)

Another suggestion for Octave developers now that octave.org is
registered (thanks to those of you who have sent a contribution toward
that cost, by the way)...

VA Linux just recently announced the opening of a free hosting
service, SourceForge (http://www.sourceforge.com/), for open source
projects.  The services available are simply amazing.  For example:

o web server (obviously)

o domain hosting - so we could make the recently-registered octave.org
  point there instead of che.wisc.edu as we'd originally planned

o secure shell (ssh) access

o e-mail lists - yes, we could move the octave mailing list(s) there
  if desired

o cvs repository

o bug-tracking system

o discussion forums

and more.  See the full list with details here:

  http://www.sourceforge.com/docs/site/services.php

also be sure to check out the FAQ here:

  http://www.sourceforge.com/docs/site/faq.php

I know I'm going to be moving my projects to SourceForge ASAP - not
having to deal with mailing lists, cvs repository access, bug-
tracking, etc. myself sounds excellent.

This morning I proposed this to the Gnuplot developers as well - I'm
thinking it would relieve them of a significant amount of work.  Could
it do the same for Octave?  What do you think, John?  Would it make
your life easier?

-John Turner