Print plot [was Re: Same script for octave/matlab]

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Print plot [was Re: Same script for octave/matlab]
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 21:18:11 +0100

"A. Scottedward Hodel" wrote:

> ----------
> >From: [deleted]
> >To: Ketil Froyn <address@hidden>
> >Subject: Re: Same script for octave/matlab
> >Date: Thu, Oct 7, 1999, 1:50 PM

> > but your browser has a search function, hasn't it?
> >
> >> I looked through some of the 1999 archive, but didn't find
> >> anything.
> >>

> My browser has a search function.  However, a search for the words
> "octave print" yielded the source to the octave_print_internal
> c++ code, the home page to Octave Communications, Inc., and hand bells
> music for "Christ the Lord is Risen Today."  The print function queson is
> not listed in http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/FAQ.html.  The 1999, 1998
> archives only have a note indicating that a solution was posted in the past,
> and the word "print" doesn't appear in the octave-sources archive.
>
> With results like this, a question to help-octave is appropriate.

OK, the 1999 *help* octave didn't give nothing meaningfull with the the simple
search word "print", but the 1998 archive did:

> > | In my print-function I simply use
> > |
> > |   gset out "| lpr"
> > |
> > | for sending the output to the printer.
> > | -> no temp file and no sleeping neccessary.
> >

> [Sorry, Ketil, I couldn't find it either, but it would be easy
> for you to write one, provided you're not using multiplot features.  There
> IS some discusion in the 1998-1999 help-octave archives about printing
> with multiplot.]

sorry me too (and I have sleeped this night :-)). And to repair it, here is an
*old* script of mine that automate it:

# print_plot( lpdest, opt), where opt can be, in this order,
#   landscape | portrait | eps | default
#   color | monochrome
#   solid | dashed
#   "fontname"
#   fontsize
#   name is the printer option to print postscript; system dependent!
#
#   NOTE: last settings are retained between invocations.
#   as the plot window disapears during the saving and then reapers, it
#   is convenient to have a Gnuplot resource file in the app-defaults dir
#   with a geometry and position specification, such as
#   *geometry: 500x400-0+0

function print_plot( name, opt)

    if (nargin == 0)
        name = "-dps";  # option passed to `lp' to use printer. System
dependent
    endif

    if (nargin == 2)
        eval( sprintf("gset terminal %s", opt));
    else
        gset( "terminal postscript eps monochrome dashed")  # change for your
default
    endif

    eval(sprintf("gset output '|lp  %s'", name));

    replot
    gset("terminal X11")
    gset("output")
    replot
end

> --
> A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect Eng, Auburn Univ,AL  36849-5201
> On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (256) 544-1426
> Address until 15 Mar 2000:Mail Code TD-55, MSFC, Alabama, 35812
> http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte

Joao Cardoso                |   e-mail: address@hidden
INESC, R. Jose Falcao 110   |   tel:    + 351 2 2094322
4050 Porto, Portugal        |   fax:    + 351 2 2008487