Re: Can't resolve symbols - linux

From: kullstam
Subject: Re: Can't resolve symbols - linux
Date: 12 Sep 1999 19:31:35 -0400

Anbumani Subramanian <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been using Octave on Linux in the past.  But, when I tried the
> Octave 2.0.13 binary and got the follg. error. I couldn't figure out the
> problem searching the web.
>
> >>START
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'arg__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'sqrt__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'sinh__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'log__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'exp__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'cosh__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'sin__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'cos__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'abs__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol 'conj__FRCt7complex1Zd'
> octave: can't resolve symbol
> '_t12basic_string2ZcZt18string_char_traits1Zc.nilRep'
> Segmentation fault
> >>END
>
> Can someone help ?

this is a library problem.  look at what octave expects with ldd
octave.  check the version of your shared libstdc++ found in /usr/lib.
you probably have more than one since this library has been going
through a number of changes recently.  i have four or five of them.
it could even be a C++ name mangling issue.

the easiest solution imho is get the source and compile your own
octave.  if you use redhat, i have an rpm spec file which works for me
and octave 2.0.14.  e-mail me and let me know if you want it.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
address@hidden