Re: precision of calculations

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: precision of calculations
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:12:52 -0500

double precision arithmetic has about 16 significant digits
(depending on hardware).  Hence, if (A-B) should be zero, but
you get
    norm(A-B)/norm(A) approximately = 1e-16
you're o.k.  The relative error can creep up as problem dimension
and problem condition (how sensitive the results are to small
perturbations in data) increases.

For more information, consult Golub and Van Loan's book,
Matrix Computations, Johns Hopkins University Press, available
in paperback (for the frugal) or hardback (for those who use it
a lot).

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect Eng, Auburn Univ,AL  36849-5201
On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (256) 544-1426
Address until 15 Mar 2000:Mail Code TD-55, MSFC, Alabama, 35812
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte