Re: bad random numbers

From: heberf
Subject: Re: bad random numbers
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:53:05 -0500 (CDT)

I don't think this needs to be a concern.  Consider the following

octave:1> z = zeros(500,1);
octave:2> Y = X = zeros(100,3);
octave:3> for m = 1:500
> for k = 1:1000
> Y(k,:) = rand(1,3);
> X(k,:) = rand(1,3);
> endfor
> M = cov(X,Y);
> z(m) = M(1,1);
> endfor

This takes a while but if you look at z you will see that it takes on positive
and negative values is centered around zero as it should be.  So the first
elements of two successive rand(1,3) operations are uncorrelated.

Heber Farnsworth