Re: .oct functions and shared libraries

From: Stef Pillaert
Subject: Re: .oct functions and shared libraries
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:20:36 +0200

At 13:02 8/06/99 -0500, you wrote:
>If you want to call a function defined in one .oct file from another,
>I think the best way to do it is to use the feval function (declared
>in toplev.h in the 2.0.x sources).  That does add a small amount of
>overhead to the function call, but there are some advantages (such as,
>it works).

OK. but I didn't use this way of working because I have very deeply nested
functions, and a lot of functions calls. feval seemed to increase the time
with approx. 15% (I have to admit that timing tests were very basic though...)

>If I remember correctly, linking a non-shared library into multiple
>shared libraries (.oct files) can cause trouble on some systems if the
>non-shared library has global or static data becuase it may happen
>that you end up with two copies of the static or global data rather
>than one.
>
>jwe

HELP?! I was just planning on using static data. Someone knows on what
systems this problem arises? I use RedHat 6.0 on a pentium...