From: John W. Eaton
Subject: loading shared libraries under RH 6.0
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 02:24:53 -0500 (CDT)

On 10-May-1999, Timothy H. Keitt <address@hidden> wrote:

| After upgrading to redhat 6.0, I am having problems mixing STL code with
| octave library code in my .oct files.  They compile fine and even
| execute until I allocate an STL data structure.  Here's the error:
|

| octave: error in loading shared libraries:
| /home/keitt/src/octave/local/expwdist.oct: undefined symbol:

insert_unique__t7rb_tree5ZdZdZt8identity1ZdZt4less1ZdZt24__default_alloc_template2b1i0RCd

| Actually, I think I had this problem before, but got around it
| by not using mkoctfile and simply doing
|
|     gcc -shared -o file.oct file.cc -lstdc++
|
| If I do that now, I get a core dump when I try to load the
| shared library code into octave.
|
| Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Does RedHat 6.0 have different versions of the C and C++ libraries
than you previously had (my guess is yes).  If so, did you recompile
Octave to use the new C++ libraries?   As usual when Octave crashes on
Linux systems and some upgrade is involved, I suspect compatibility
problems with the libraries.

jwe