Re: sparse stuff found

From: A+A Adler
Subject: Re: sparse stuff found
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 15:20:02 -0400 (EDT)

Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Are there any volunteers out there for helping to implement
> this package? I am on a very tight time-budget right now.

Before you try to implement another sparse package, take a look at
the octave sparse package I put together.

I announced it in octave-sources on 24 nov 98.

You can download the package from
http://www.mondenet.com/~adler/octave/spfun/

It it based on the SuperLU sparse package, available
from netlib, which has a BSD type copyright.

The code currently supports only basic linear algebra
and solves on sparse matrices. The syntax is also still little
clumsy. It goes at a little slower to twice as fast as MATLAB

The package currenly meets my needs.  I had been planning to do more
work on the sparse package, but my lack of time, combined with the lack
of interest from this mailing list, has discouraged me from
putting in more work, in the short term.

As I said, however, take a look. I'll probably get some time
to work on it in the next few months, so any suggestions would
be appreciated.

andy,
Andy Adler,                               address@hidden