Re: is octave compatible with matlab 5.2?

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: is octave compatible with matlab 5.2?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:10:18 -0600

>is octave compatible with matlab 5.2?
>
>Kevin

The usual answer I give to this in the presentations I've made is that
"Octave is 95% compatible with Matlab, which means that it's not."

More precisely, there are a few commands and syntactic items that are
different that require some editing of your existing matlab files if
you want to use them under Octave.  On the other hand, if you know how
to use Matlab, the learning curve with Octave is effectively zero for
most applications.  (There is significant difference between developing
mex files and Octave's .oct files.)

The Matlab version 5 binary format is unpublished and so is not
compatible with Octave.  On the other hand, the two can exchange
data in ascii form.

A better answer would require a bit more information on what you're
looking for.

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect Eng, Auburn Univ,AL  36849-5201
On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (256) 544-1426
Address until 15 Mar 2000:Mail Code ED-13, MSFC, Alabama, 35812
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte