Re: Solaris 2.5, libF77.so.3 problems

From: Jalaluddin Abdullah
Subject: Re: Solaris 2.5, libF77.so.3 problems
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:16:53 +0800

John W. Eaton wrote:

> The libF77 shared library is assumed to be on the system.  I believe
> the Fortran parts of the binary distribution of Octave that you have
> were compiled with the Sun Fortran compiler.  I was under the
> impression that the Fortran run-time libraries would be available even
> if you did not purchase the Fortran compiler.  If that's not the case,
> then we will have to change the way that binaries are linked.  For
> those systems where the Fortran run-time library is not available as a
> standard part of the operating system, I think Octave binaries made for
> distribution will have to be compiled using g77 or f2c for the Fortran
> bits.  Then we can distribute the corresponding Fortran run-time
> functions along with (or along side) the Octave binaries.
>
> If you don't have access to the Fortran run-time library, your other
> option at this point is to build Octave from source using g77 or f2c
> as the Fortran compiler, or find someone who can do it for you.
>
> jwe

Don't worry yourselves about a new binary distribution just for me; I'll go
looking for the file first; if that's too difficult to obtain, then I'll try
building Octave from source (I didn't do this originally as I was short of
disk space, but I've repartitioned the internal hd now). I have g77 already,
and incidentally my merged build of gcc & g++ began with already installed
gcc and g++ if I'm not mistaken.

So basically you have answered my question about where the libF77 file comes
from -thanks!

Jalaluddin