Re: Matlab vs. Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Matlab vs. Octave
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 03:34:15 -0600 (CST)

On  9-Mar-1999, Michael Hanke <address@hidden> wrote:

| My (limited!) experiences in comparing ode-solvers on matlab and
| octave is that octave is usually faster.

Something else I forgot to mention is that the default for Octave's
lsode and dassl functions is to use finite differences to compute the
Jacobian.  That means even more function evaluations.  In the
development sources (version 2.1.x), it is possible to also specify a
separate function to compute the Jacobian analytically.  Of course,
you then have to come up with the function yourself, which may be
difficult if you have a complicated set of ODEs.

jwe