gset term linux

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: gset term linux
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:10:26 -0500 (EST)

  Heber> I've had the same problem.  In gnuplot I can "set term linux" and
  Heber> it works fine. When running octave (as root) I try "gset term linux"
  Heber> and get

  Heber> octave:1> gset term linux
  Heber> octave:2>      line 0: Linux terminal driver not available

  Heber> I'm using the octave precompiled binary (rpm) that comes with RedHat
  Heber> 5.2 on my laptop.  No problems in X windows but sometimes I'd rather
  Heber>  not run with X.

It just doesn't work.  Octave talks to Gnuplot via pipes. That works under
X11 because because programs can run in parallel.

On the console, however, Octave and Gnuplot conflict. When you run Octave on
the console, it "occupies" and an attempt to start Gnuplot results in an
error as Gnuplot cannot claim the console -- because it is taken.

So I am afraid you will have to switch virtual consoles and plot more
manually.

--
Linux is not only free; it is, arguably, a better operating system, offering
a degree of stability and an ability to scale up that NT cannot match.
                                             -- The Economist, Oct 3, 1998