3d gsplot using first column of z as axis (was Re: timefmt with splot?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: 3d gsplot using first column of z as axis (was Re: timefmt with splot?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:34:01 -0500 (CDT)

On 13-Oct-1998, Colin Telmer <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| >   Colin> I have tried to use "using" but I cannot figure out what arguments
| >   Colin> to pass to it. Any ideas?
| >
| > I tried similar things with 2d plots, and it failed exactly there.
|
| I could get it going with 2d plots, but not with 3d as it is the entire
| matrix z I wanted to plot. With 2d plots, if I have the first column in
| the appropriate date format, I could do something like using 1:3 to plot
| column 3 against the dates in 1.
|
| Perhaps a simpler or more general way to ask my question is "how can I
| plot a matrix z using a vector (with the length equal to the number of
| rows in z) as the corresponding plot axis rather than the simple row index
| of z (which is default)?"

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  If the description of gsplot
in the Octave manual doesn't help, then maybe I could answer your
question if you provided some example data.  How many rows and columns
are in z?  What do you mean by `using a vector', etc.?

| As an aside Dirk, I found a interesting hack to make, say the x axis, of a
| 2d plot in a rough time format. For a monthly data series called x, set up
| a vector as follows:
|
| dates =[1952+1/12:1/12:1992+3/12];
| gplot [dates,x] using 1:2 (something like that - I am at work)
|
| Works great for me. What I would like to do is use "dates" as the numbers
| on an axis in an gsplot. Cheers.

If you can figure out how to make the 3D plot you want directly in
gnuplot, then there's a good chance that there is a way to do it from
Octave (at least by opening your own pipe to gnuplot).  But if it doesn't
even work directly in gnuplot, then maybe you should be reporting the
bug to the gnuplot maintainers instead.

Thanks,

jwe