Re:shared libraries with g77

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re:shared libraries with g77
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:11:45 -0500 (CDT)

On  4-Jun-1998, Ruediger Back <address@hidden> wrote:

| Actually I do have two different versions of libstdc++ installed and
| corresponding two different header includes, because I'm using egcs
| (which comes with its own libstdc++) and gcc 2.7 concurrently. I built
| libg++/libstdc++ etc. for use with gcc. But since all the egcs related
| stuff is installed in /usr/local, while the gcc stuff is in /usr there
| should not be any problems, unless octave uses/needs libg++. Hit me
| hard if it does and it is mentioned in the docs, but I thought
| libstdc++ was sufficient. There might still be a problem here, but
| since configure looks first in /usr/local and egcs looks in /usr/local
| anyway I thought I should be fine.... am I wrong ???

Current releases of Octave do not require anything from libg++.

It is certainly possible to install multiple versions of egcs or gcc
on the same system.  I usually do it by specifying completely separate
installation prefixes.  I use --prefix=/usr/local/gnu/gcc/VERSION, in
which VERSION is replaced by the actual version number.

Sorry, but it's impossible for me to tell exactly what the trouble is
with your system.

jwe