Matlab/octave difference: the flops command

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Matlab/octave difference: the flops command
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:10:19 -0500 (CDT)

On 22-Apr-1998, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

| There seems to be a difference between how octave and process the
| "flops" command.
|
| matlab has three invocations for flops
|
| a = flops;
| a = flops();

How are these any different?  As far as I know, they should do the
same thing -- execute the function without any arguments.

| flops(n);          ( I am not sure what this one does)

Apparently the intent was to allow flops (0) to reset the count to
zero, but any value of N seems to work (even negative!).

| Whereas octave has only one
|
| flops(); (gives a warning if any other type is used.)
|
| Is there a variable I set to get rid of this incompatibility?

Flops is just an M-file.  Put one that does what you want somewhere in
your LOADPATH ahead of the default version.

But in the interest of compatibility in the extreme, I will modify the
default version to accept a single argument as well.

Thanks,

jwe