HELP: plotting under windows NT

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: HELP: plotting under windows NT
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:51:43 -0500 (CDT)

On 15-Apr-1998, Lance McBride <address@hidden> wrote:

| I've installed the following:
|   cygwin32 b18
|   fixed cygwin.dll
|   less-gnu win32
|   Octave 2.0.11 i386
|
| on my machine:
|   Intel Pentium
|   Windows NT4-SP3
|
| I've patched gnuplot using:
|   gnuplot-beta336 source code from cmpc1.phys.soton.ac.uk
|   Mumit's diff patch for plot.c and winmain.c
|     -from www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32
|   VC5 on windows NT using nmake -f makefile.nt
|
| No matter what I try, plot or gplot, no data is transferred between octave
| and gnuplot.  Could someone just send me a binary that does work?  I'm not a
| programmer, so any help provided would be appreciated.
|
| Even if this does ever work, will I ever be able to multiple-trace plots,
| etc?  In other words, will I ever be able to produce plots like Matlab is
| capable of producing?  Is there some other method of plotting under WinNT
| that works better?

Mumit's patch for gnuplot allows it to read commands from the standard
input if it is invoked with the command-line option `-stdin'.  His
README file suggests using a shell script, but I think it is
sufficient to set Octave's built-in variable gnuplot_binary to
"gnuplot -stdin" (or "wgnupl32 -stdin", if you installed your gnuplot
binary with that name instead of gnuplot).

jwe