Re: linewidth with gnuplot

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: linewidth with gnuplot
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:33:17 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, John W. Eaton wrote:
> | I'm having some trouble interfacing octave to gnuplot.
>
> The trouble is that Octave has to parse the entire gplot command line,
> so that leads to situations like this where the gnuplot syntax changes
> but Octave hasn't `caught up' yet.  I'm not sure that it is worth the
> effort to try to follow every feature change in gnuplot.  Probably it
> is better to offer a full-featured set of functions that can be
> implemented in terms of various plotting packages.  Unfortunately,
> this hasn't happened yet.

I'd like to try my hand at producing a patch to allow linewidths
in plot. I'm wondering which approach would be best.

There no way to follow the matlab example since MATLAB does
linewiths using their set(handle,'property') feature.

Perhaps the easiest way is to get octave to understand
line styles. That way you can access new gnuplot features with

gset linestyle bla bla bla

and then plot it with gplot data with linestyle foo

or even some variant of plot(x,y,'textstring')

I'll try to produce a patch to do this, unless someone can
think of a better way to go about it.

Andy Adler,    | Pulmonary Physiology Unit         | Lab 303-398-1626
address@hidden | National Jewish Center,Denver,USA | Fax 303-398-1607

Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
                                                   - Ecclesiastes