linewidth with gnuplot

From: Andy Adler
Subject: linewidth with gnuplot
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 14:21:46 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble interfacing octave to gnuplot.

In gnuplot, if I want to make thicker lines I can do

  gnuplot> plot "/tmp/oct-29730aaa" with lines linewidth 1

or by defining a linestyle with thicker lines

  gnuplot> set linestyle 1 linewidth 5
  gnuplot> plot "/tmp/oct-29730aaa" with lines linestyle 1

however, octave doesn't accept either of these approaches

  octave:22> gplot data with lines linewidth 1
  error: `linewidth' undefined near line 22 column 23
  error: evaluating expression near line 22, column 23
  error: evaluating plot style command
  octave:22> gset linestyle 1 linewidth 5
  octave:23> gplot data with lines linestyle 1
  error: `linestyle' undefined near line 23 column 23
  error: evaluating expression near line 23, column 23
  error: evaluating plot style command

unfortunately, gnuplot doesn't let you use "set linewidth" the
way you can "set pointsize" otherwise I could do that first.

So, my problem is how to get octave to accept the gnuplot
syntax. I'm prepared to do some source hacking if someone
can show me where to hack.

[on a side note, if you abbreviate linestyles by ls in the
 gplot command octave tries to ls the directory

  octave:29> gplot data with lines ls 1
  ls: 1: No such file or directory
  error: evaluating plot style command

and if you put it in quotes you get another bizarre error

  octave:29> gplot('data with lines linestyle 1')
           line 0: undefined variable: t
  ]

Thanks for your help
Andy Adler,    | Pulmonary Physiology Unit         | Lab 303-398-1626
address@hidden | National Jewish Center,Denver,USA | Fax 303-398-1607

Unfortunately, the facts pay no attention to what we can imagine.
                             -Geza Szamosi, "The Twin Dimensions"