still popen2 problems

From: Allan E. Strand
Subject: still popen2 problems
Date: 15 Sep 1997 09:53:53 -0600

I sent a vague message to the list a few days ago about popen2.
Having received no response, I decided to post a more specific example
of my problem.

The follwing code comes directly from the octave info pages:

[in, out, pid] = popen2 ("sort", "-nr");
fputs (in, "these\nare\nsome\nstrings\n");
fclose (in);
while (isstr (s = fgets (out)))
  fputs (stdout, s);
endwhile
fclose (out);

if I execute these comamnds interactively, they _always_ produce the
correct result.  When I place them in a file and call them as a
script, I either get no result at all or a warning that there is a
broken pipe and (of course) no result.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

TIA,
A.

p.s.  NetBSD 1.2.1, P133, octave 2.0.5

--