Re:Re: Memory....

From: Stef Pillaert BK
Subject: Re:Re: Memory....
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 10:14:56 +0000 (MET)

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 29-Aug-1997, Stef Pillaert BK <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I've written a program where I use a lot of big matrices.
> | The program is a big function, where I call a lot of other functions, like
> | this:
> |
> | function retval=program(....)
> |   function1(...);
> |   function2(...);
> |   function12(...);
> | endfunction
> |
> | Each of those functions call a lot of other functions, with a lot of
> | loops.
> |
> | At a certain stage, I run out of memory, and the program halts. Indeed,
> | when I follow what's happening (using Linux "top") , I can see that the
> | "Size" is growing and growing, and at the end becoming too big for the
> | available memory....
>
> The behavior you report may be due to a bug in Octave, but it is
> impossible to say for sure, because you haven't provided enough
> information for anyone to be able to reproduce the problem.
>
> Please submit a complete bug report to address@hidden,
> including everything necessary to reproduce the problem.  See the
> section in the Octave manual on reporting bugs for more information
> about what makes a useful bug report.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

I think I narrowed my problem (at last!) to the following:
 when I do something like

  for i=1:1000000
    eval("2;");
  endfor

everything is O.K.

But,

  for i=1:1000000
    eval("[2];");
  endfor

makes the Size bigger and bigger. Is this normal?
Shouldn't I use eval this way?

If you still need a bug-report, I will try to send you one.

Sorry for the trouble, thanks for the help.

Stef.