Re: octave-2.0.8-i386-cygwin32 (b18) binary available

From: niles
Subject: Re: octave-2.0.8-i386-cygwin32 (b18) binary available
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 97 14:24:27 -0400

> I just uploaded the octave 2.0.8 binaries for Windows '95/NT (using
> Cygnus' gnu-win32 project) to my gnu-win32 web page. Please see
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ for more
> info.
>
> >From my minimal testing, it works at least as well (or as badly,
> depending on your perspective ;-) as 2.0.5 under gnu-win32 b18.

Great Job!  It works quite well.  I thought I'd share some problems
I saw.

0) It took me a long time to figure out I need to:
        ln -s /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /bin
   (perhaps you should list in the instructions, perhaps it's in the
    Cygnus instructions already, but I didn't see it.)

1) ./install-octave "/Program Files/octave"

will fail quite badly because of the space in the name.  This is a
problem in jwe script file itself, but perhaps you could find the
problems and report them to him. (at least put a warning in the
instructions)

      (The rest of the problems relate to the gnuplot hack.)

2) If I do "sombrero(20)" then try to go back to "plot([1 2])"
I get an error message about set noparametric.  This seems
like it should be easy to fix, no?

3) You can't move, resize, or bring to front the gnuplot window.
    It also doesn't refresh correctly.

4) Bringing up gnuplot the first time is really slow.

5) you need to change the path inside "gnuplot" from ./wgnupl32
   to wherever you put wgnupl32.exe, else it only runs correctly
   if your in the same directory as wgnupl32.exe.

        Thanks it works great!