Re: working directory for gnuplot

From: Mario Storti
Subject: Re: working directory for gnuplot
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:10:26 -0300

       Heber Farnsworth <address@hidden> said:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Mario Storti wrote:
>

> > Hi all!
> >
> > I have the following problem when using the gplot command. If I
> > change directory during the Octave session, then commands like:
> >
> > gplot "myfile"
> >
> > doesn't work because it seems that gnuplot doesn't track the change of
> > directory. I ask if someone else has found this, and if there is a
> > workaround/fix/patch.
>
> The simplest workaround I can think of is to load the data in myfile into
> a matrix.  If you just want to plot data in a file you don't need Octave
> at all.  Octave plotting commands are designed for plotting vectors or
> matrices in the workspace.

I'm working with finite element meshes. I make them in Octave. To plot
them, the  contour of each "finite element"  is  a curve  with 4  or 5
points depending if the element is a  triangle o quadrangle, so that I
have  to plot  a   lot of  curves,   let's  say 5,000 curves   (finite
elements). Now,  the "matlab-style" plot commands  have the problem of
not allowing more  than  a limited number   of curves. So that  I  use
directly gplot for plotting meshes.

> > Mario
> >

>   Heber Farnsworth                               | Department of Finance
>   Univerity of Washington                        | Box 353200
>   tele:  (206) 528-0793 home                     | Seattle, WA 98195-3200
>   tele:  (206) 543-4773 finance     web: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~heberf
>   fax:   (206) 685-9392             email: address@hidden

> I guess best fix for it would be to fix the octave cd command such that it
> would run cd command on gnuplot also if gnuplot was running.
>
> I have not tried this myself, but running "closeplot" command before the gplot
> command could also fix the cd command problem. "closeplot" closes the gplot
> pipe and hence next gplot command should start a new pipe to gnuplot which
> would
> hopefully be started in the correct directory.
>

> Vinayak Dutt
>
> Ultrasound Research
> Mayo Clinic
> Rochester MN 55905
> E-Mail: address@hidden

Yes!! That fixed the problem. Thanks!!!!

Mario

Mario Alberto Storti               | Fax: (54)(42) 55.09.44               |
Grupo de Tecnologia Mecanica       | Tel: (54)(42) 55.91.75               |
INTEC, Guemes 3450 - 3000 Santa Fe | http://venus.unl.edu.ar/gtm-eng.html |
Argentina                          | Home: Gob. Vera 3161                 |
Reply: address@hidden  |       (54)(42) 55.00.23              |