least squares fitting in octave

From: jfournie
Subject: least squares fitting in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:28:42 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings all,

I have two questions, and I would appreciate any help
you could give through email, since I am
not subscribed to this list.

under linux 1.2.13 and octave 1.1.1. (gnuplot 3.50)

1. is there a least squares fit somewhere?
Under matlab I would just use polyfit().

2. can I modify the plot routines to plot to the linux
console with gnuplot?  I made some modifications to
plot() (ithink) but gnuplot was waiting for a keypress
to stop displying the graph and it locked up.

regards

JP fournier

address@hidden