help-nano

Re: Setting speller from a shell script

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Setting speller from a shell script
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:34:17 +0100

Op 05-11-2022 om 14:13 schreef Find Marbles:
I know that a speller can be set in the nanorc as set speller "aspell -x -c"

However is it possible to set it from a shell script? I did a set speller "home/findmarbles/spellchecker.sh" in the nanorc.

You will want to have a leading slash too: "/home...".

spellchecker.sh is a simple:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
aspell -x -c

Aspell needs an argument.  Pass it on with $1:

  aspell -x -c $1

(Also, make sure spellchecker.sh is executable.)

It is also possible to use the SPELL environment variable.  In that case,
make sure that _no_ nanorc file sets the speller command -- SPELL is a
fallback, it does not override a nanorc setting.  You can then simply do:

  export SPELL="aspell -x -c"

(Personally I always add the -l option plus a language code, to make sure
aspell checks the spelling for the correct language.)

Benno