help-nano

Re: GNU Nano on Windows

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: GNU Nano on Windows
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 09:26:12 +0200

[Please reply only to the list.]

Op 23-08-2020 om 20:23 schreef Adam Záhorský:
> Now to specify, I've downloaded the 2.5.3 version of Nano for Windows from
> here:
>
> https://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.5/NT/

That's a rather old version.  Maybe it's good enough for what you want to
use it for, but... why do want to have nano on a Windows machine?

As you're on Windows 10, have you tried WSL? [1]  Then you could run nano
as it is meant to run, and probably a more recent version.

[1]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

> And I've read this article, [2] which told me to put the cygwin1.dll file
> into my
> system32 folder. Once again to clarify, I'm on Windows and I want to know, if
> have to put the cygwin1.dll file into the system32 folder, because Nano works
> fine without me doing that.

[2] https://showtop.info/install-nano-text-editor-windows-10-command-prompt/

As Liu Hao said: if it works fine without moving the file, let it be.
Random sites on the internet tell all kinds of random crap -- do not
believe anything of it.  As Liu Hao further explained: Windows seems
to prefer the DLL *next* to the executable, so it is perfectly placed
where it is.

> I'd also like to know, what is the purpose of the DLL
> file, because I'm still very new to this.

The DLL is a "library"; it contains the extra functions that nano needs
in order to run on Windows.

Benno