help-nano

Re: Alt+Insert does not work, and nohelp gives too little help

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Alt+Insert does not work, and nohelp gives too little help
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:39:21 +0200

Op 16-08-2020 om 15:50 schreef Seb:
> If I want to process the entire file, I'll go ahead and select the
> entire file before typing ^T.

Selecting the entire file is cumbersome in nano, as it doesn't have
a "Select All" command.  Because piping nothing into a command makes
no sense, the «nothing is selected» is a shorthand for «everything is
selected and should be piped into the command» when using |command.

> Let's say I use Nano from within Mutt and I want to send the result of a
> command
> line.

You mean you compose an email in nano (from within mutt) and you want
to insert the output of some shell command into your email?  Then you
just type ^T command <Enter> *without* using the pipe symbol.

>> The purpose of the |command construct is to filter / process / format /
>> manipulate / knead the selected text (or entire buffer) into a different
>> shape,
>> replacing the original.
>
> Isn't it the case with the example I gave above? A string is processed and
> gives
> another string...

I don't follow...  The essence of the |command construct is that it
*replaces* whatever was selected (or the entire buffer if nothing was
selected).  If you need to have both the original and the processed text,
then you will have to shuffle with things to get it.  Sorry.  That is not
what |command was designed to do.
> "Normal" ISO-8859-1 characters show up just fine inside Nano: ±²³´µ¶· etc.

It required me to build nano with --disable-utf8 before those ISO-8859
characters showed up.

Benno