help-nano

Re: [Request]: Change keyboard shortcuts to more standard

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Request]: Change keyboard shortcuts to more standard
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 17:03:22 +0100

Op 02-03-2020 om 00:07 schreef address@hidden:
> **It is definitely always best to allow flexibility whilst having sensible
> defaults.**
>
> The experienced, long-time users with years of experience and muscle memory?
> They're supported.
>
> The new users with a more 'modern' memorized keymap? They *should also* be
> supported.
>
> Let's work on that, instead of changing it for everyone.

That is a sensible attitude.

But... maybe instead of adding extra configurability to nano, may I point
to tilde (https://os.ghalkes.nl/tilde/)?  When you configure away the silly
blue background (Options > Interface > Text) and stop the escape hugging
(Options > Input Handling), it is quite usable.  If only Ctrl+Up/Down would
work, and ^G would do Find Next (a function key is not acceptable to me as
a command), and there was a way to toggle the visibility of white space,
then I think it would do everything I want.  (Oh, and a single keystroke
to start a backward search.  And I like nano's completion feature better.
But tilde's highlighting of the complementary brace is nice.  And I love
the scrollbar on the right, giving feedback on the position in the file.)

Benno