help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Language-specific replacement for `formatter`

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Language-specific replacement for `formatter`
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:31:05 +0200

Hello Anthony,

Op 25-09-18 om 22:23 schreef Anthony Sottile:
> Hi! I've noticed that `formatter` has been removed in nano 3.x,
> however I've previously found it pretty useful for running things like
> `go fmt` (or sorting for gitignore for example).

The formatter command was "made" for Go, so that you used it for that
is no surprise.  But... how often do you need to re-sort a .gitignore
file?  And if you really need to, how hard is it to type: ^R ^X |sort
<Enter>?

> Whether I had a formatter or linter I could run ^T and it would
> usually do what I want.  With the removal of `formatter` from nanorc
> is there a way to restore that behaviour?

No.  Not now.

> I work on a _ton_ of different file types (20+) so setting up a
> shortcut for each formatter for each language is really not feasible.

For how many of those syntaxes have you found a useful use of the
formatter command?  (Judging from your Github stuff, you have nanorc
files for just four syntaxes, and just one of them contains formatter.)

> I'd be sad to see this feature removed permanently
>
> (maybe this is an email asking for restoration of `formatter`)

Then please post a feature request on Savannah:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=nano

In that request you may want to reference another complaint:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54651

Benno