help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Disable justify on ^J

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Disable justify on ^J
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 21:10:23 +0200

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with more urgent things.

I still believe that subscribing to a mailing list is complicated, considering what happens next: I get tons of messages that I'm not interested in. I need to filter them away. That either eats up my entire time, or requires some work to set up my mail program, create a folder and set up a Move rule based on the List-Id header. This is just something I'm not willing to do. Also, subscribing can take a long time upfront, leaving me hanging on, depending on how fast the server sends out confirmation mails. And when will I unsubscribe again? When the first answer comes in? When the last answer in two years comes in? These are only the things that come to my mind right now. I've made a comprehensive comparison long ago. It's not that I wouldn't understand how mailing lists work. The opposite is the case. But I know that mailing-list evangelists won't accept these reasons. They already haven't 15 years ago. Mailing lists are a technology of the past, like usenet (does that still exist? I don't have access to that anymore).

Back to topic:

The unbind config seems to help a bit, but doesn't give me the desired result. I've opened the same file on the server and pasted multi-line text from the same local file into it. No justify was triggered, no unrelated text was inadvertently modified. But the line break wasn't pasted as well. The two lines I copied were pasted as one, with no space in between. Line breaks seem to be lost in nano.

Can that be made working again?

I'm not a Terminal expert. This entire field looks completely messy to me with so many uncoordinated options. So I'd prefer not to change anything with those settings in PuTTY and simply stick with the defaults that have worked without any issue for many years, except the nano issue in the current Ubuntu system.

Yves