help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] how to make it default so that nano wraps lines at 80 co

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] how to make it default so that nano wraps lines at 80 columns
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:47:31 +0530

in-line :-

On 12/11/2016, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Shirish,

Hello Benno,

First of all let me take opportunity to thank you for creating and
maintaining nano for so long. It seems you took over rein somewhere in
Jan./Feb 2014 according ot changelog.gz at /usr/share/doc/nano

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016, at 20:31, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> I have been trying to get nano to wrap as user (not as root) at an
>> arbitary length of 80 columns on Debian stretch .
>
> If you run '/bin/nano --ignore --fill=80 yourfile', does it
> then correctly wrap at eighty columns?

Yes this correctly wraps at 80 columns but then why doesn't it do it
with the same option in .nanorc

[$] cat .nanorc

set autoindent
set backup
set constantshow
set fill 80

> If yes, then maybe you have 'nano' aliased to
> 'nano --nowrap'?  Try 'type -a nano'.

[$] type -a nano

                                             ]
nano is /bin/nano

>> Sharing a simple text file see
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb1n8vmyxm7jiuv/sample.txt?dl=0
>
> I won't be looking at untrusted URLs.  If you want to give any
> examples, paste them inline in the mail.

Ok, here goes -

└─[$] cat sample.txt

this is a sample text file I am writing. There is no automated
word-wrapping even though it should wrap at 80 characters.

these two sentences come on the same line when it should not according
to .nanorc

>> Using ESC + L gives a wrapping at 137 columns
>
> When you've used the option 'set fill', Esc L switches wrapping /off/.
> Another Esc L will switch it back on.

Ok.  Look forward to hearing from you.

--
          Regards,