help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] exit without saving

From: Mike Brown
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] exit without saving
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:31:44 -0700

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 06:18:13PM +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > ...^X
> >
> > "aw crap! I'm being asked for a filename to save, must not have permission
> > edit not-mine.txt after all!"
>
> But most of the time you would be wanting to save the edits
> you made, no?  To then 'sudo cp' them to the actual file.

Oh you GNU/Linux people, thinking every OS comes with sudo. :)

Usually the edits are small and I don't mind discarding them, and
redoing them after I'm root. So to recap, these are my choices,
currently, when -t was given on the command line:

  ^Z, killall nano, su, run nano as root

  save to a writable location, su, move the file, chown or chmod

  open another shell, su, chown or chmod the file, ^X in first
  shell, chown or chmod it back in second shell, exit second shell

> But never mind that.  :)  I think a discard-buffer key is a
> good idea.

Anything to avoid the su / sudo and get me out of nano cleanly!