help-nano

[Help-nano] Free flowing onscreen text

From: Nicholas Boel
Subject: [Help-nano] Free flowing onscreen text
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:25:56 -0500

Hey all,

I've been trying to get the right combination of command line options in order to create free flowing text (with no hardwraps) that fits the width of my screen (currently the VM is 1024x768 which gives me about 128 columns wide), and softwraps to the next line without breaking up the last word of the line if it ends on the 128th column in the middle of the word.

Basically, I'm trying to use the -w option in conjunction with the -$ option, so that there is no hard wraps, but also doesn't keep everything on one never ending line.

Except at the end of the line, if a word hits the last column, the entire word doesn't wrap on to the next line, only the letters after the last column is hit.. so the word gets split up.

Is there a better way to go about doing this? At the moment I'm using Thunderbird to compose this message, and it does exactly what I'm asking for here. I can resize the window and all the text flows to the size of the window.

Is there a way for nano to handle this? I'm not trying to resize the window in nano, though, I'm just trying to flow the text to the size of my console window and keep the words readable and in view.

Thanks!

--
Nick