help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Re: Nano scrolling only refreshes half of the window

From: Nicholas Shaff
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Re: Nano scrolling only refreshes half of the window
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:12:06 -0500

Thanks for the replies and sorry about my delayed response. I seem to have it working well now. See below:

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10/29/10, Eitan Adler <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Nick Shaff <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> Figures... literally seconds after I throw up my hands and give up I
>> realized it's because I changed my terminal to xterm instead of the
>> default xterm-color. The reason I did this is a server I SSH into commonly
>> for work has a version of nano installed that complains and wont run with
>> xterm-color. Any suggestions as to a work around for this that might let
>> them both play nice (preferably with my local terminal still set to
>> xterm-color)?

Thanks for the report Nick.  So, you're saying that on OS X 10.6 with
nano 2.2.5 when you scroll the screen up or down using the arrow key
the screen does not fully refresh?  Can you please confirm the new
version of nano that you used? I assume this is with the defaut
terminal app.

The terminal in OS X defaults to xterm-color and it appears the nano included is compiled in such a way that doesn't work properly if the TERM is set to xterm (produces the scrolling weirdness I've mentioned). I compiled the latest version of nano on the machine (2.2.5, the default was 2.0.6) and that behaved in the same way. The server Im working with is a Solaris box (not sure of the version) and says it doesn't recognize xterm-color when I try to start nano, so this is why I had my OS X Terminal app set to xterm which caused the whole problem on my machine.

> Can you set TERMINAL in the remote shell's init files?
>
> alternatively can you do something like:
> alias nano="TERMINAL=xterm nano"

I think this should be "TERM=xterm nano"

Adding a setenv TERM xterm to my .cshrc file on the server fixed the problems I was having. I appreciate the help!