help-nano

[Help-nano] Dos/ Mac/ Unix text files: Save after Edit

From: Fergus
Subject: [Help-nano] Dos/ Mac/ Unix text files: Save after Edit
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:16:14 +0000

I cannot make sense of the underlying logic for Save As (Dos-terminated or Mac-terminated or Unix-terminated) after editing text
files using versions of nano after v.1.3.4 up to and including the
current v.2.0.7 and test v.2.1.0.

In version 1.3.4 the default is to save files Unix-terminated,
irrespective of their format before editing. If required the switch -D
will force save files Dos-terminated, the switch -M will force save
files Mac-terminated and the switch -N will force save files in the
original format.

This seems -- and is -- so good: consistent and well thought out.

Thereafter in more modern versions including those currently on offer
(i) this behaviour is compromised in that what is offered is less
versatile and (ii) there is a switch

  -N (--noconvert)
  Disable automatic conversion of files from DOS/Mac format

which seems irrelevant/ illogical -- or plain wrong --because in these versions automatic conversion is already disabled. There seems, in fact, no way to save a file Unix-terminated unless it starts off that way.

I am sticking with v.1.3.4 in order to achieve the excellent behaviours
described here, but I guess I must be missing out on the other advantages and modifications attaching to later versions. Would it be possible by some means to request the developers to revert to the excellent behaviours of v.1.3.4 in versions presented after 2.1.0? (I have tried writing to address@hidden but so far without achieving a response. I must be expressing myself badly: sorry! I hope this communication is clearer.)

Best wishes and thank you,

Fergus