help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Color Syntax Highlighting on Solaris 8 shows up as white

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Color Syntax Highlighting on Solaris 8 shows up as white and grey
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:19:22 -0400

Garth Dahlstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some months back I managed to build nano 1.999 using "./configure
> --enable-all", I copied some of the .nanorc syntax highlighting from
> my linux box and I fired up nano using numerous different files that
> match the syntax highlight rules.
>
> What happens on my servers is where colours should be applied I get
> white instead (when syntax highlighting is off everything is
> silver/grey).  I've tried different TERM settings like vt100, ansi,
> xterm, linux, but the result is the same...
>
> I know putty with these term settings can display colour as I have a
> colour PS2 prompt and Midnight Commander works in colour.
>
> Is something else I can try or some way to troubleshoot this?

Sorry for the delay; I've been extremely busy until recently.

I'm not certain what to try, since I have no access to a Solaris
machine, but I have a few questions that may help narrow this down.

1. Your other post, which I'll get to below, mentions build problems on
Solaris 8 linking against ncurses.  Is this also on Solaris 8, and is
nano also linked against ncurses?

2. If it is on Solaris 8, I found this link about colorization after
some googling.  Is it any help?

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=635

3. When you mention your color prompt and Midnight Commander, are you
using them on these servers?

4. Are you accessing these servers locally or remotely when the problem
occurs?

5. What terminal are you using on these servers?  (The actual program,
not the $TERM value it uses.)

6. Is your Midnight Commander linked against slang or ncurses?  (For
comparison.)

7. Which versions of slang and/or ncurses do you have installed?

----------

> I have a small problem with my build which I've read may be related to
> a lack of ncurses.h...

If this link is anything to go by

http://lists.beasts.org/pipermail/iftop-users/2004-March/000127.html

, that sounds right.  Since nano does build, and the error log shows a
linking problem against ncurses, it could be that nano's being built
against Solaris curses, and then linked against ncurses, which fails
because the two curses (curseses?) are different internally.  This is
because nano first tries to build using ncurses.h, and falls back to
curses.h if ncurses.h isn't available.

> If anyone with experince building nano could offer suggestions as to
> how to fix this, I'd be greatful.

Does Solaris have a development package for ncurses (which should have
ncurses.h)?  If so, try installing it, and then see if nano builds
properly.