help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] iterm

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] iterm
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:18:29 -0500

Mark Roberts / X-Plane wrote:
> 1.  Build 0.9.4.1221.1
>
> 2.  See attached images.  1 is before moving the cursor and 2 is after
> scrolling over the line just above it.

Thank you.  This is rather bizarre, as the status line at the top of the
screen shouldn't be that squashed horizontally.  What's image 3, by the
way?

> 3.  Nano 1.2 something.  I just upgraded to the newest version hoping
> this would help.
>
> 4.  Tried both Unicode UTF-8 and Western ASCII.  Nano is configured
> for UTF-8.

Both iterm and the terminal you ssh to should be using the same
encoding.  (What is Western ASCII?  Google doesn't tell me anything
useful about it.  Or is it another name for ISO-8859-1?  In any case, if
it's not supported on the Linux terminal, you're better off using
UTF-8.)  See below.

> GNU nano version 2.0.2 (compiled 14:30:16, Dec 30 2006)
> Email: address@hidden    Web: http://www.nano-editor.org/
> Compiled options: --enable-utf8
>
> I'm not sure what encoding the ssh terminal is set to.  How can I
> check this?

Type

echo $LANG

at the prompt, and let me know what it prints out.

> This seems to be a known problem for at least four years.  I did some
> googling before I sent you my original email.

Hmmm.  And from what that article says, nano isn't the only console
application with problems under iterm.  That's not good.  Still, I'll
try to be of *some* help...