help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Soft-Wrap and Show-Codes?

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Soft-Wrap and Show-Codes?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:07:37 -0400

David Liontooth wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you! That's very helpful. And thank you for all your good work.

No problem.

> I've tried regexp for replacing lines in nano on OSX and Linux. OSX
> appears to only handle Basic Regular Expressions (BRE), which does not
> honor escapes like \n, \f, and \r. Linux handles ERE, but in nano
> there's no match for these escaped characters. Search and replace is an
> extremely useful improvement over pico, and being able to replace
> newline is top of my wish list!

In the meantime, you can replace any escaped character other than \n
(Ctrl-J) as long as you know its Control key equivalent.  You just need
to use verbatim input mode (which works in the prompt as well as the
edit window).  Meta-V Ctrl-L should let you replace \f, and Meta-V
Ctrl-M should let you replace \r.

> BTW I suggest you restrict access to the nano-help mailing list to
> subscribers, to avoid it being salted away by spam. These lists can be
> very useful for reference. If even you don't post to it, that's a bad
> sign! :-)

I'm not in charge of the mailing lists, but I'll look into that.