help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Configuration issue with Nano

From: Wayne Parker
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Configuration issue with Nano
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:57:31 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Chris Allegretta wrote:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 04:05:49PM -0800, Wayne Parker wrote:
I have seen this before on HP's ILO remote management console, and it is
as you mention Wayne, the number of lines looks incorrect.  What would
be helpful is if you tried other utilities like 'vi' and even 'less' and
see whether these programs function as expected.   You will probably
need some combination of setting TERM to "vt100", and using the resize,
reset or stty sane commands.

Brilliant!

I tried "export TERM=vt100"

    ... and now it works fine.

Glad to hear it Wayne.  Incidentally, can you tell us what the $TERM
value was set to before you manually set it to vt100, and what terminal
program you are using to connect when you run nano?  (Apologies if you
already mentioned this and I missed it).  I've seen this problem
reported on some websites but we haven't been able to get enough info in
order to reproduce it so we can fix it.  Thanks much!

The default was apparently TERM=xterm. I was running an xterm session from an Alpha box, to which I was connected via SecureCRT from my Windows workstation.

        Secure CRT 3.2                  Tru64 Xterm
   PC ------------------> Alpha Tru64 --------------> Linux box ( & Nano)

Does that help? I suspect the fact that TERM=xterm is the relevant factor.

Thanks again,

        -- Wayne

  R. Wayne Parker                  UW Medicine
  Data Group Manager               IT Services
  address@hidden         University of Washington

  Phone: (206) 543-4031            NEC II Building
  Fax:   (206) 543-4833            9725 3rd Ave NE #400
  Pager: (206) 626-4377            (UW Mail Stop #359104)
  Cell:  (206) 300-6643            Seattle  WA  98115-2024

Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and attachments.