help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Nano and SSH

From: Neil Brown
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Nano and SSH
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:16:17 +0000

Paul Adams wrote:

I am seeing two odd behaviors when using nano 1.2.4 over an SSH connection.

First, any text that I paste into the editor acquires cumulatively more blank space at the beginning of each line. So, if I copy the text:

1
2
3
4

from another window and paste in into a nano window, it will appear as:

1
  2
    3
      4

This is usually caused by auto-indent. From what I can gather, ( this is true for nano via PuTTY from Windows at least) when text is pasted in, it is effectively passed as keystrokes rather than text like in, say, Word. So if you have auto-indent on, each newline followed by a tab that you paste in (i.e. already indented text) will "accumulate" indentation. Thus all of your text gets progressively indented more. Press Escape then I, to turn this off when pasting, and the same to turn it on again. My explanation is probably not technically correct but the gist is right. I'm afraid I don't know about the second problem; maybe try Escape then M to turn on the mouse support? Other than that I don't know.

HTH,

Neil.