help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Configuring question

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Configuring question
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:54:40 +0100

Hi Janice,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:36:59PM -0800, FISCHER Janice wrote:
>    I'm a Linux newbie.  I downloaded nano and tried ./configure.  Got an
>    error message "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"
>    What C compiler do I need?  I have RH9, didn't install any developer
>    tools.

You will most probably need to install: gcc, ncurses-devel and gettext.
I don't know the package names in Red Hat, but you probably have some
tool to search for them easily. If not, feel free to mail back to the
list, I'll query the exact package names / commands to get it installed.

Also, nano should be packaged in rpm format already. You probably want
to install the package instead of compiling it yourself, it'll be a lot
easier.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/